What you will learn
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Design, deliver and evaluate adult learning and teaching on a continuum of instructional approaches.
- Create positive and engaging learning environments that promote respect for the diversity of learners.
- Communicate effectively and work collaboratively in the workplace and in the community.
- Act in an ethical and professional manner when working in an adult education setting.
- Integrate critical reflection strategies to stay current in education and bring about change in one's own practice.
What to expect
A wide variety of instructional strategies is used in the program. Instructional strategies may include interactive lecture, presentations, assignments, guest speakers, discussions, group work, field trips, and case studies.
Courses may be offered in online, face-to-face, and blended formats.
- English 11 or Communications 12 with a C-, or equivalent
- Evidence of subject matter expertise (diploma, bachelor's degree, trades certification, substantial workplace experience) or departmental approval
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Program options for international students can be found at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
The PIDP is appropriate from those with no teaching experience to those with substantial teaching experience but little training in instructional skills. Students should have:
-a willingness to participate in a wide variety of instructional strategies, both face-to-face and online
-basic computer skills
-the ability to work independently and with others
Program general hours
The program must be completed within 5 years.
Program locations: Broadway, Online and locations in BC, Alberta and Yukon.
Completion time will vary depending on individual circumstances. The program is designed for working professionals. It is designed to allow for flexibility, and may be completed at an accelerated pace. The minimum completion time is ten months. The program must be completed within 5 years.
|Core Courses (23 credits)|
|PIDP 3100||Foundations of Adult Education||3|
|PIDP 3210||Curriculum Development||3|
|PIDP 3220||Delivery of Instruction||2|
|PIDP 3230||Evaluation of Learning||3|
|PIDP 3240||Media Enhanced Learning||3|
|PIDP 3250||Instructional Strategies||3|
|PIDP 3260||Professional Practice||3|
|PIDP 3270||Capstone Project||3|
|Electives (7 credits)||7|
|Teaching Adults with the Brain in Mind|
|Facilitating Learning Online Fundamentals|
|Facilitating Learning Online Design|
|Collaborative Learning in the College Classroom|
|Industry Training Authority Fundamentals|
|Trades Specific Facilitating Learning|
|Assessment and Evaluation of Vocational Training|
|Trades Specific Student Engagement Techniques|
|Online/eLearning: Principles and Processes|
|Design and Develop Interactive eLearning|
|Delivery of eLearning|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||239||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
To apply, please contact the School of Instructor Education at email@example.com or at 604.871.7000, ext 7488
For more information, read the provincial instructor participant handbook.