What you will learn
- Traditional design principles and processes
- Adobe Creative Cloud software, including Photoshop and Illustrator
- Colour theory and typographic principles
- Branding and visual identity design
- Packaging design
- Editorial design and print layout principles
- Web and UI/UX design
- Web development (HTML/CSS)
- Content management systems (CMS)
- Digital photography
- Writing, editing, and proofreading
- Client relationships and expectations
- Business and marketing principles
What to expect
- Mac-based computer labs with the latest software
- Access to drawing tablets, iPads, digital cameras, scanners, and colour printers
- Creative group exercises and discussions
- Field trips and guest lectures
- Critiques and discussions to develop an eye for design
- Enthusiastic and experienced faculty members
- 120-hour practicum with an industry partner
- Experience working on real client projects in our design studio, Studio Nuvo
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis throughout the year, and students are admitted on a competitive selection basis. Applicants can apply to meet either the Standard Admission Requirements or the Advanced Admission Requirements for the program.
A) Standard Admission Requirements (Year 1)
- English 12 with a C grade or equivalent.
- Interview with Selection Committee.
Prior to interview students are required to provide:
- Personal portfolio*
- Resumé and letter of intent clearly listing reasons for pursuing the diploma*
B) Advanced Admission Requirements (Year 2)
- Completion of VCC Graphic Design Certificate.
- Completion of Graphic Design Certificate equivalent from another recognized institution as determined by the program Department Head.
Interview with Selection Committee. Prior to interview students are required to provide:
- Professional portfolio*
- Resumé and letter of intent, clearly listing reasons for pursuing the diploma*
- Three references from people who have worked with the applicant in a relevant professional environment*
For further information on the above, please view the Graphic Design Selection Guidelines available on the VCC website.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team and independently with confidence
- Customer service-oriented outlook and ability to work well with a wide variety of people
- Ability to give and receive feedback
- Motivation, curiosity, and research-orientation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic, positive attitude
- Initiative, self-starter work habits
- Flexibility, adaptability
- A basic understanding of Mac computers is strongly recommended
Program general hours
The Graphic Design diploma runs Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
|VCDP 1110||Design Foundation||3|
|VCDP 1111||Adobe Creative Cloud||3|
|VCDP 1120||Image Foundation||3|
|VCDP 1121||Photography Foundation||3|
|VCDP 1130||Typography Foundation||3|
|VCDP 1132||Writing for Graphic Designers||3|
|VCDP 1140||Composition Foundation||3|
|VCDP 1141||Client Designer Management||3|
|VCDP 1250||Brand Identity Foundation||3|
|VCDP 1242||Composition Intermediate||3|
|VCDP 1260||Brand Design Intermediate||3|
|VCDP 1251||Print Production Foundation||3|
|VCDP 1252||Image and Video||3|
|VCDP 1270||Web Design Foundation||3|
|VCDP 1271||Web Development Foundation||3|
|VCDP 1280||Interactive Design Foundation||3|
|VCDP 1282||Wordpress Foundation||4|
|VCDP 1290||Portfolio Foundation||4|
|VCDP 2310||Advanced Image & Photography||3|
|VCDP 2311||Studio Business Practices||3|
|VCDP 2341||Expressive Writing||3|
|VCDP 2320||Advertising and Art Direction||3|
|VCDP 2350||UX/UI and Web Design||3|
|VCDP 2321||Studio 1 with Advanced Type||7.5|
|VCDP 2460||Advanced Web Development||3|
|VCDP 2440||Wordpress & E-Commerce||3|
|VCDP 2451||Studio 2 with Web Production||5|
|VCDP 2430||Editorial Design||3|
|VCDP 2470||Packaging Design||3|
|VCDP 2461||Studio 3 with Web Content||5|
|VCDP 2480||Web Marketing||3|
|VCDP 2490||Diploma Portfolio||3|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
8570 - Year 1
8417 - Year 2
0 - Year 3
0 - Year 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||560|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5
† British Columbia Labour Market Outlook: 2018 Edition