What you will learn
- Technical drafting software: AutoCAD, Autodesk Revit Structure, Inventor, Civil 3D
- Drafting terminology, conventions, and annotation
- Drawing from data, designs, and/or specifications
- Technical mathematics
- Construction site safety
- 3D and building information modelling (BIM)
- Orthographic projection
- Sectioning and dimensioning
- Auxiliary view
- Machine detailing
- Structural analysis
- Civil technology and planning
- Engineering theories and drawings
- Reinforced concrete and structural steel
- Construction site layout, mapping, and plotting
- Cut and fill practices
- Drainage and sub-surface investigation
- Road layouts and corridor design
- Land subdivision and terrain models
- Highway intersections
- Steel framing systems and construction
- Steel-reinforced concrete
- Foundation plans and grade beams
- Civil utilities, pipe networks, sanitary systems
- Steel stairs and platforms
- Critical thinking
- Team building
- Interpersonal communication
- Technical communications
- Portfolio development
- Résumés and application letters
- Job-search skills and interviews
What to expect
- Project-based learning
- Laboratory work
- Individual projects
- Theory examinations
- Practical/drawing assessments
- Opportunity to advance into a CAD and BIM Technician diploma program*
*Upon completing the 10-month Civil/Structural Technician Certificate, students may earn a CAD and BIM Technician diploma by completing Terms 2 and 3 (8 months) of a second drafting specialty: Architectural or Steel Detailing.
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- English Language Proficiency at a grade 12 level or CLB/CLBPT Listening 8, Speaking 7, Reading 8, and Writing 7
- Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 11 or equivalent or VCC Math Assessment with 80% Basic Arithmetic and 72% Basic Algebra
- Applicants who do not meet the English language requirement may be admitted at the discretion of the Department
- Applicants who have met all the above requirements and have completed high school Drafting 11 and 12 may, with Departmental approval, apply for direct entry into Level 2 of the program.
For assistance with meeting the entrance requirements, please contact Advising Services to schedule an appointment with an Advisor.
VCC CAD Citation graduates may insert into level 2 of the program.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Excellent English communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Windows OS is strongly recommended.
- Good mathematical and mechanical comprehension.
- Ability to work in imperial and metric units of measurement.
- General good health, good hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
- Successful work habits and an ability to work well with others.
- Logical reasoning and an ability to visualize objects.
- Interest in all aspects of architecture, engineering, general construction and related fields.
Program general hours
Monday to Wednesday 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
|DRFT 1010||CAD Drafting Fundamentals||4|
|DRFT 1011||CAD Drafting Applied||3|
|DRFT 1012||Office & Construct Site Safety||1|
|DRFT 1013||Construction Mathematics||1|
|DRFT 1226||Construction Drawing Reading||1|
|DRFT 1280||Industrial Site Layout||2|
|DRFT 1281||Autodesk Civil 3D||2|
|DRFT 1282||Road Alignment Detailing||2|
|DRFT 1283||Steel Structures||3|
|DRFT 1284||Princ for Reinforced Concrete||1|
|DRFT 1285||Foundation Design Concepts||1|
|DRFT 1286||Engineering Statics||2|
|DRFT 1326||Job Search Skills||0.5|
|DRFT 1327||Revit Structures||2|
|DRFT 1330||Advanced Road Design||2|
|DRFT 1331||Civil Utility Services||2|
|DRFT 1370||Technical Communications||1|
|DRFT 1380||AutoCAD 3D and Assemblies||2|
|DRFT 1381||Miscellaneous Steel||1|
|DRFT 1383||Quantity Take Offs||0.5|
|DRFT 1384||Concrete Slab on Grade Flr Sys||2|
|DRFT 1385||Reinforced Concret Struc Comp||3|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
1442 - Level 1
2402 - Level 2
2562 - Level 3
0 - Level 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||280|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5
† Statistics Canada Labour Force Survey