College policy: Admission to Vancouver Community College is based on the underlying principle of the potential for success within the time limits of the specific courses/programs. Basic education is a program for adults who want to improve their reading, writing or math from beginning levels to grade 9. Basic computer skills are also offered.
Students applying for basic education classes must:
- Meet with the department and complete a reading, writing or math assessment. Bring any special tool or device (computer, tablet) needed for writing in basic education classes.
- Understand and speak or use English comfortably.
- Recognize and write some letters of the English alphabet.
- Answer questions on reading materials at the level they are able to read.
- Work co-operatively in a group or independently in the self-paced classroom.
Basic education is not an appropriate placement for students who have a strong academic background indicated by post-secondary training at a university or similar academic institution.
Students are referred to the Vancouver Community College program that best meets their educational needs. Students who need more work on oral language skills are normally referred to ESL programs. Students who are Deaf or hard of hearing or visually impaired are normally referred to a program for students with disabilities.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
|CLFE 0311||Career Literacy Foundations||0|
|COMP 0311||Computer Literacy Level 1||0|
|COMP 0312||Computer Literacy Level 2||0|
|ENGL 0611||Fundamentals of English 1A||0|
|ENGL 0612||Fundamentals of English 1B||0|
|ENGL 0613||Fundamentals of English 1C||0|
|ENGL 0621||Fundamentals of English 2A||0|
|ENGL 0622||Fundamentals of English 2B||0|
|ENGL 0623||Fundamentals of English 2C||0|
|ENGL 0631||Fundamentals of English 3A||0|
|ENGL 0632||Fundamentals of English 3B||0|
|ENGL 0633||Fundamentals of English 3C||0|
|ENGL 0641||Fundamentals of English 4A||0|
|ENGL 0642||Fundamentals of English 4B||0|
|ENGL 0643||Fundamentals of English 4C||0|
|ENGL 0651||Fundamentals of English 5A||0|
|ENGL 0652||Fundamentals of English 5B||0|
|ENGL 0653||Fundamentals of English 5C||0|
|ENGL 0661||Fundamentals of English 6A||0|
|ENGL 0662||Fundamentals of English 6B||0|
|ENGL 0663||Fundamentals of English 6C||0|
|MATH 0311||Mathematics Level 1||0|
|MATH 0312||Mathematics Level 2||0|
|MATH 0313||Mathematics Level 3||0|
|MATH 0314||Mathematics Level 4||0|
|MATH 0315||Mathematics Level 5||0|
|MATH 0316||Mathematics Level 6||0|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
Approved Adult Upgrading Grant may cover the cost of these classes. See Financial Aid for Applications.
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Student union||55||per term|
|College initiative||8||per course|
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
subject to eligibility
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
Department permission is required to apply and/or register for this program.
For more information, please contact the Basic Education department at 604.871.7000, ext. 7369 or emailing email@example.com.